...

...spends time together...has fun together...trains together...learns together...laughs together...competes together...stays together...loves together...

Monday, September 22, 2014

2014 IDPA Nationals

Gene and I had the pleasure of attending the 2014 IDPA Nationals in Tulsa, OK.  It was our first time to attend a national shooting competition so we really didn't know what to expect.  It was an eye opening experience.

We arrived at the U.S. Shooting Academy on Wednesday afternoon.  What a great range. They have a large range house with an expansive retail store which carries everything from clothing to gear and of course firearms.  The range itself is beautiful and green and much different than the ranges that we have at home.

Gene and I with Mike Seeklander
We took some time to get the lay of the land and to check out the stages.  Most of the shooters were done for the day by the time that we got there, but we were fortunate to be able to watch Mike Seeklander shoot his last stage of the day.  I have to admit I could not help myself and I just had meet him.  He was very nice and allowed me to pester him for a few minutes and get a picture with him.

We headed back to our hotel a little later and once we were settled I did some dry fire and reload practice in our room.  It was just enough practice to get the muscle strain in my right arm to start hurting.  I was really hoping that it was not going to give me problems on Thursday.

We woke up bright and early on Thursday and headed to the range for the 7:45 AM safety briefing.  I knew I needed to eat to keep my energy going since it was going to be such a long day, but I just could not force myself to finish my breakfast.  I guess it was my nerves.  I was excited and anxious at the same time.

Once it was time to get started the squad met up at the first stage in bay one.  The Safety Officer read the scenario to us and allowed us to review the stage. When it was finally my turn to shoot I stepped up to the line. As soon as I heard the timer beep, my nerves went out the window and I actually did pretty well.  I was relieved that the first stage was over with and I felt so much better.  Most of the shooters, including the safety officers, were able to shoot the stages in two days.  Our squad shot all 15 stages on Thursday, 9/11.  I must say that the entire event was rather surreal.  The stages were all great.  Some were typical of what we shoot at our monthly local matches and others were a little more complicated.  The Safety Officers were all very nice and not intimidating like I had thought they might be.  Here are a just few pictures of me shooting the match below.




I was fortunate to be a part of the first ever all female squad to compete at IDPA Nationals. The team was comprised of a bunch of wonderful and talented women who are all a part of the A Girl and A Gun Women's Shooting League. The squad was comprised of both members and facilitators from all over the country and we all have one thing in common, we are serious shooters and competitors. Despite some goofy moments and a lot of laughter and camaraderie, we were all intent on doing our best and learning as much as we can about a sport that we love.  Julianna Crowder, Founder of A Girl and A Gun, was our squad mom and Randi Rogers, National and World Champion shooter, was our coach.  For many of us on the squad it was the first time that we had met.  We only spent a few days together, but I feel a very tight bond with each of them.


On Friday, Gene and I took a trip to Oklahoma City and visited some of our friends at Flashbang. (We will blog about that at a later time.)  We went to the range on Saturday afternoon and watched the last of the competitors finish the stages and then we attended the awards banquet Saturday night.  I didn't win any awards, but I did finish 16th out of 41 people in my division and class.  I am proud of where I ended up, especially since it was my first national match.

Gene was there with me every step of the way helping me, encouraging me, and supporting me.  The only way that this match could have been better is if he had been able to shoot with me.  I truly cherish that time that we have together.

The pictures of the entire squad can be found in our Dropbox account using the following link: 2014 IDPA AG & AG PicturesWe hope you enjoy them.


2 comments:

  1. Gene, these are awesome pictures. Thank you so much! I look forward to shooting with you and Christy in the future. Renee Krawiec

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article!! Thanks for all the great pictures!! Tina

    ReplyDelete